Friendships are also our most reliable sources for social, intellectual, and creative stimulations. The love and support our friendships with others provide is invaluable.
We should always consider how members of our community are feeling. Those who are dealing with loss may be experiencing a time of loneliness or isolation. Reaching out to connect with them is the first act of friendship, and it can be as simple as making a phone call, sending a friendly text, or having a quick conversation in the hall. If you have time, invite someone you haven’t seen often to join you for coffee or dinner one evening.
At Acacia Creek, a Certified Center for Successful Aging, and retirement community, residents and staff focus on achieving optimal health by growing the whole person – intellectually, socially, physically, and spiritually. Having friendships touches upon all four of these successful aging components, benefitting both the body and mind. According to data collected from Masterpiece Living, only a small minority of residents reported feeling lonely. The leadership team is always reaching out to those in the community who might need support. But you can help, too, by reaching out to someone today!
Here’s how friendships benefit us and relate to our wellness pillars.
- Better overall health
- More energy
- Greater participation in aerobic activity
- Consumption of more fruits and vegetables
- Greater satisfaction with community
- Feel more supported by family, friends and team members
- Greater participation in social activities
- More opportunities to use skills and abilities
- Greater confidence to deepen social connections
- Higher self-rating of memory compared to peers
- Lower self-rating of memory limiting social activities
- Greater ability to take in and process new information
- Greater levels of meaning and purpose
- Greater satisfaction in live
- More control over one’s life
- Lower levels of feeling “down, depressed and hopeless”
- Greater levels of volunteerism
It’s wonderful that so many in our community feel connected to their friends. Supporting those who feel lonely is a community effort. Join the leadership team’s efforts to support all residents and extend a special invitation of friendship today!
Acacia Creek Retirement Community inspires residents to live an active, meaningful life. Our mission as a senior community is to enrich the independence, well-being, and security of our residents through exceptional services and care based on Masonic values.
To learn more about Acacia Creek or our senior housing opportunities, contact us at www.acaciacreek.org/contact