At Acacia Creek, a Certified Center for Successful Aging, and retirement community, residents and team members focus on achieving optimal health by growing the whole person – intellectually, socially, physically, and spiritually. Happiness and joy touch upon all four of these successful aging components, benefitting both the body and mind.
Ask anyone when was the last time they experienced genuine happiness and you may receive a mixed answer. We all want more happiness and joy in our lives, and fostering those feelings may be easier than you think. The next time you’re feeling down, consider these simple tips to boost your mood and overall sense of happiness.
- Perform some deep breath exercises. This is a great way to start the day, or to calm yourself when you feel upset or frazzled. Close your eyes, smile, inhale all that is good, and exhale what isn’t needed.
- Move your body. Find something active you can do each day to get your blood circulating, and don’t be afraid to break a sweat. Whether it’s simple or serious, just move!
- Do what you love. What activities make you happy? We all have hobbies that we love, even if we haven’t done them for a while. Create opportunities for fun each day – it’s critical to your happiness.
- Find people who bring out the best in you. Avoid people who drain your energy or encourage bad habits. Seek out people who inspire you to grow. At any age, you can find positive role models and mentors who inspire you.
- Practice gratitude. Focus on what’s good in your life. When you acknowledge all the little things that you have to be thankful for, you inevitably feel better. Document your own gratitude and express gratitude to others. You’ll find that gratitude can greatly help you to shift your perspective.
Remember: Happiness can’t be bought, but it is something you can find within yourself, and that you can cultivate within your own life. Try these tips and celebrate your unique life experience.
Acacia Creek Retirement Community inspires residents to live an active, meaningful life. Our mission as a senior community is to enrich the independence, well-being, and security of our residents through exceptional services and care based on Masonic values.
To learn more about Acacia Creek or our senior housing opportunities, contact us at www.acaciacreek.org/contact
— By Penny Vittoria, Successful Aging Coach